baslinux - Re: [BL] vortex2 au8830 sound card

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] vortex2 au8830 sound card
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 01:16:46 +0000 (UTC)

is the modem internal? if so is it PCI? (if PCI thats your problem) if
its ISA then disable onboard COM2 (ttyS1) and set the internal as com2
(ttyS1)... if the modem is external and works fine with other systems

Is there a way to check the serial port in linux? It works, just not very
consistently or fast.

not unless you have something like statserial installed... a port
tester from radioshack would be the second option...

statserial not found in SW7.1. I found the source in .deb or .rpm form.
/usr/bin/rpm2targz from bin.tgz or mc will extract a tar.gz from rpm, and ar -x from a deb format.

It probably needs a loopback connector. We have one some place.
It shows the current state of various modem signal lines.
That might not diagnose one that is slow and discontinuous.

i didnt mean to put windows there permanently... i ment to use it as a
test to see what the hardware is doing...

I don't have a free partition with 200MB. Or the time to waste on Windows installation.

Linux Serial HOWTO Jan 2007 290 KiB. 12.1 Serial Monitoring/Diagnostics Programs mentions statserial but there are no known diagnostic programs in linux for the serial port.

15. Troubleshooting mentions various gadgets designed for testing serial port lines, with connectors, voltmeter test points, LEDs, jumpers, switches, including Radio Shack RS-232 Troubleshooter. It would be easier to diagnose something dead than intermittent.

There is a section on interrupt conflicts. But there are no problems connecting at 14.4K, just at faster speeds.

To check if there is an interrupt problem use setserial to set IRQ to 0 and use polling instead of interrupts. Polling is not recommended because it is resource intensive. But 'polling due to IRQ=0 is orders of magnitude faster than the slow "polling" due to bad interrupts". This is a temporary fix. I should check /proc/interrupts. (I think I did but I am now using a different computer online). Setserial can be wrong.

There is no pnp, just external modem on Com2. No jumpers. I set serial ports to either auto or manual standard settings. I reserved IRQ3 for Com2 in BIOS. Com1 is IRQ 4 and has a mouse - should I remove the mouse?
(A serial mini-trackball which syschk thought was a modem).

This 2001 board does not have a 16450 or 8250 UART. 16550.

I did a 'setserial -g ttyS*' on another computer and ttyS0 and S1 are 16550A with correct address and IRQ. S14 (which I made for a lucent modem that is not installed) is No such device. And 2 3 and 4 are unknown. ttyS4 has IRQ 0. Why do I have that device?

16.4 Interrupt Conflicts. I don't think anything else uses IRQ 3.

linux (BL or otherwise) doesnt ignore BIOS settings if the bios was
written correctly (aka not an overly cheap OEM machine i810 fits this
category) if you disable a serial port in the bios does it not
disappear from BL?

I disabled Com2 in BIOS and I still find ttyS1 in dmesg as a 16550A - is this referring to the internal modem rather than the comport?

I think disabling onboard USB in BIOS also disabled it in linux.

I will reenable the sound chip in BIOS to test it.

See 'previous in thread' for the problem - slow connection which also
freezes up.

that goes along with the serial port/modem/possible conflicts with
other hardware... you said the ISP works fine with your other machines
so it means either something is wrong with this machines hardware or
something wasnt set right in software....

Probably hardware.

At least I have a repeatable test - 350-950 Byte/sec upload to shell account via kermit file transfer.

Sindi

--sam
--
"When you've done something right, no one will be sure you've done
anything at all." -- Futurama

It is not so clear when I have done something wrong.

Could the port have a damaged buffer? I can try com1 instead of com2.

Then set irq to 0 to use polling instead of interrupts as a test.
setserial /dev/ttyS1 irq 0 (??)

Look for the serial loopback device.

Try an internal modem instead of a sound card.

Switch computers or use a slower one as a gateway.