baslinux - Re: [BL] vortex2 au8830 sound card

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] vortex2 au8830 sound card
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 17:53:14 +0000 (UTC)

Same problem cutting out with streaming
audio. Connected at 45333kbit/sec.

Are you on dial-up? If so, then I would expect
45333bps to cut out. With a 56kbps modem you can
cleanly handle a 32kbps stream, but anything faster
than that is dicey.

Dialup, 45333 connection, streaming audio at 16-24K.

I tested actual speed by downloading a 1MB pdf file from a fast site.
Average speed 2Kbyte/sec = 16 KBit/sec, which explains why after 25-35 sec
when the buffer empties I get only about 2/3 of the music from a 24K
broadcast.

The modem also stops responding at all (for 10 min, until I hang up and
dial again) every 25 min or so. I timed it - 3 times in the last 1.5
hours. The clock said it was 25 min after I ppp-off'ed but ppp listed the
connect time as 48 minutes. Some clock chip is confused?

Tested upload speed several ways:

A. Dialed the ISP and tried to upload jpegs to a shell account

1. Kermit FTP - appeared not to work at all (maybe just too slow).

2. Kermit direct file transfer - worked very very slowly and erratically (large chunks trasmitted then stalled for a while) and nearly as many errors as transmitted packets. 30 slots of 30 in use.

3. Ran mini_httpd at my end, BL2 busybox ifconfig to determine my local ip number (inet), and links from the shell account to download from my computer to the shell account. Download speed ran 350 to 900 Bytes/sec (less than 1KBytes/sec or 8Kbits/sec on a 56K modem).

When I go through the ISP, I get frequent periods of freezeup for a few seconds at a time while doing anything - ssh'ed to shell account, browsing from my own computer.

B. Used Kermit to dial the shell account directly and kermit file transfer. This time 18 of 30 slots in use. Completely stable connection at 1.6 falling slowing to 1.5 KBytes/sec. No freezeups. This probably explains my 3 hours of connection yesterday without problems - I had dialed with Kermit then ssh'ed to another account.

The shell account I dial has 14.4K modems (which explains the 1.6K uploads - 14.4/9) but someone just got the 33K bank working after three years of fiddling (he found a bad network card and bad software). This solves the email and text browsing problem, and I will use some other computer for internet radio and graphical browsing.

The ISP is Earthlink and I doubt they are providing 2 Kbyte/sec service.
Why would the ISP connection be so slow and unstable on this one computer?