baslinux - Re: [BL] vortex2 au8830 sound card

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] vortex2 au8830 sound card
  • Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 17:16:00 +0000 (UTC)

Regarding the modeming problem on the board where I replaced USB and sound, which caused the connection to freeze up after running very slowly (upload via Kermit of 350-950 Byte/sec). Suspect some hardware problem involving the southbridge (where USB and sound and IDE and interrupt controller live).

Tried to test the serial ports: Can't find our loopback connector. setserial /dev/ttyS1 irq 0 did not help, it timed out while trying to connect. Com1 worked as badly as Com2.

I pulled out the ethernet card and tried lucent PCI modem. /dev/ttyLT0
'no such device'. Same for the other lucent modem. The previous two worked. Has Lucent changed models? Thought about trying to compile linux drivers for pctel and some other winmodems...

I put back the PCI ethernet card and replaced the MGA card in the only ISA slot with a 56K hardware modem which uploaded correctly via kermit.

Streaming audio was perfect for 40 sec, but cut out when I started to type at the shell account. Typing was also messed up.

----
I am redialed now.

The connection froze up again, so it is not the serial port but something else onboard that affects external and internal modems. Interrupt controller?

We had a modem once that worked at lower speeds but produced garbage at higher speeds.

Since I had a stable connection when I direct dialed the 14.4K modem at our local bbs, I then tested by dialing the ISP at 14.4K. With USR Sportster modems you add &n8 to connect only at this speed. Worked perfectly for kermit upload (except for the usual slew of errors as the buffer emptied at the end). &n14 28.8K worked. &n16 33.6K boinged a lot and hung up. Twice. &n15 31.2K worked. (I am limited to what my 28.8K sportster modem booklet lists, which includes the 33.6K setting, but will try faster speeds later until the problem recurs.)

Why would 33.6K not connect? Not supported at the other end?
31.2 is the max speed of a 33.6K modem. Does the 56K modem use some part of the motherboard not used by slower modems?

At 31.2K speed (confirmed by eznet log) the radio has been playing with 0% (!!!!) loss for about 10 minutes now even when I type email. This leaves me 31-24=7K for email which is annoying but not impossible and the radio sounds REALLY nice. I should try streaming audio with my other modems/computers at 31.2K. They tend to lose bits and then stop playing.

pubint.ic.llnwd.net:80 (WEKU Richmond Kentucky where our old roommate is running the radio station)

No more sudden stalls while I am typing while the ISP readjusts speed depending on line noise.
&n15 says connect ONLY at 31,200.

SB Live PCI sound card.

I think I won against the no-name Ver. C computer (the name may be hiding under the power supply). I don't need to use onboard sound.