baslinux - Re: [BL] vortex2 au8830 sound card

  • From: "Samual Acorn" <sam.acorn AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] vortex2 au8830 sound card
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 15:12:19 -0600

On 14/02/07, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, Samual Acorn wrote:

> is the modem internal? if so is it PCI? (if PCI thats your problem) if
> its ISA then disable onboard COM2 (ttyS1) and set the internal as com2
> (ttyS1)... if the modem is external and works fine with other systems
> check that the serial port is good in the computer....

External, on Com2.
I have no free slots after replacing onboard USB and sound.

Is there a way to check the serial port in linux? It works, just not very
consistently or fast.

not unless you have something like statserial installed... a port
tester from radioshack would be the second option...

> disabling onboard sound in the BIOS -will- disable it... (a way to
> truely verify if its disabled is to boot/install windows and use
> windows 'new hardware' probe.... if it doenst find the onboard sound
> chip then its safe to say its disabled... if it finds it but has the
> little yellow exclimation point over it saying the device has a
> problem then its not completely disabled)

I don't want to put Windows on this computer. I thought I read that BL
ignores BIOS settings. I will attempt to identify onboard sound and get
it working so as to free up a PCI slot for PCI modem.

i didnt mean to put windows there permanently... i ment to use it as a
test to see what the hardware is doing...

linux (BL or otherwise) doesnt ignore BIOS settings if the bios was
written correctly (aka not an overly cheap OEM machine i810 fits this
category) if you disable a serial port in the bios does it not
disappear from BL?

See 'previous in thread' for the problem - slow connection which also
freezes up.

that goes along with the serial port/modem/possible conflicts with
other hardware... you said the ISP works fine with your other machines
so it means either something is wrong with this machines hardware or
something wasnt set right in software....

baslinux-request AT lists.ibiblio.org

--sam
--
Web; http://mephitus.no-ip.org/