baslinux - Re: [BL] vortex2 au8830 sound card

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone AT tpg.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] vortex2 au8830 sound card
  • Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 08:10:46 +1030

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 15:51:43 +0000 (UTC), sindi keesan wrote:

> Thanks. Over a 14.4Kilobits/sec connection I was getting up to 1630
> (before the serial port buffer filled up?) falling gradually to 1495
> bytes/sec upload, not 1440 bytes/sec - why? This comes out closer to 9
> than 10. Maybe on a longer transfer it would have been 1440 by the end.

Most times the modem's compression utility is turned on. From my
observations, this can give an apparent increase in speed of up
to 20% on plain text downloads, but somewhat less with binary or
compressed files.

>> I remember this well from the days when we used to make our own
>> 300 baud serial ports and "Kansas City" modems for bulk storing
>> data on audio cassettes.

> Out of what?

TTL logic and operational amps. These interfaced directly with
the address and data busses of the computer, and appeared as a
three byte memory location, one to send data, one to receive
data, and the third for control/status.

No such thing as FIFO buffers or any of that jazz.

. ,-./\
. / \ from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia
. \_,-*_/ "Queen City of The South" 34:55 S 138:36 E
. v