baslinux - Re: [BL] vortex2 au8830 sound card

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] vortex2 au8830 sound card
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 05:47:46 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Same problem cutting out with streaming
audio. Connected at 45333kbit/sec.

Are you on dial-up? If so, then I would expect
45333bps to cut out. With a 56kbps modem you can
cleanly handle a 32kbps stream, but anything faster
than that is dicey.

Dialup, 45333 connection, streaming audio at 16-24K.

after 24 sec I started losing a few sec at a time
despite 320K buffer.

The size of the buffer doesn't matter. Once it is
exhausted, the stream will break up. It's like a
bathtub. It doesn't matter how full the bathtub is
when you start -- if the water is draining out faster
than it is flowing in, then eventually the bathtub
will be empty.

The NZ station cut out 50% of the time starting in
2 seconds.

How fast was the the audio stream? What speed was your
modem connection?

24K, 45333

I don't have this extreme a problem on other computers. I am also having modem problems, two different modems (that worked elsewhere) keep freezing up for so long I ppp-off and start over, 3 times in the last 15 minutes (I am writing the same reply again).

Might the disabled onboard sound be causing some conflict?

I will attempt to identify it and use it instead of the add-in cards (all four of which have streaming audio problems) It does SB_PRO emulation (in theory or maybe in Windows). Is there any simple way to identify onboard sound other than finding the chip, or finding the name of the motherboard? I tried both already but can try again. What sound chips were commonly used on boards in about 2001? 1.2GHz cpu.

Onboard i810 sound worked with streaming audio and so did add-in cards if I disabled the i810. Maybe this chip is not really disabled?