baslinux - Re: [BL] vortex2 au8830 sound card

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] vortex2 au8830 sound card
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 01:15:48 +0000 (UTC)

insmod soundcore

insert -f au8830.o
insmod not insert, of course

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31/au8830.o
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl
- since it also works with 2.2.X kernels.

Said to work with the gameport and midi port and timidity etc.

The website says one of its drawbacks is a 16K buffer. It works offline
with mplayer, but online even with 320K cache, at 24K or slower internet
radio stations, it cuts out every few seconds for a few seconds and then
stalls completely. Can this be fixed somehow? All my cards cut out a lot
but this seems to be worse than the others.

My neighbor says I should have at least 100K buffer so I gave up on this card, which also sounds terrible with mplayer and a DVD. (Playing movies with some other program was another drawback listed for the driver).

I found a trident card (also PCI).

insmod soundcore
insmod ac97_codec
insmod trident

Nice loud card, good sound. Same problem cutting out with streaming audio. Connected at 45333kbit/sec.

Played a DVD briefly with mplayer then stopped and complained that my system was too SLOW. It is 1.2GHz. A 500MHz with es1371 works.

Most likely cause broken/buggy audio driver and I should try setting -autosync 30.

I did. Sound on DVDs works perfectly now. !!!!!

This did not fix streaming audio. I think it works better on my other computers. On this one after 24 sec I started losing a few sec at a time despite 320K buffer. Could it be some problem with interrupts? PCI video card in slot 1 shares interrupt with (empty) slot 5. Sound in slot 2 has interrupt 12. Modem on com2 IRQ3. Do I need to specify dma (like I do with ISA cards)? This happens with all three sound cards I tried.

The NZ station cut out 50% of the time starting in 2 seconds.
24 sec for a 32K station after which every 2 sec I lose 2 sec then mplayer exits.

Could it be the external modem? I have no empty slots after adding USB and sound. I tried two external modems.

Might something else (besides hard drive, onboard USB, and onboard sound) be damaged on the motherboard which can't handle streaming audio well enough?

I can buy LPs for 10 cents but internet radio uses less electricity.