baslinux - [BL] vortex2 au8830 sound card

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] vortex2 au8830 sound card
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 00:10:13 +0000 (UTC)

We traded a working 333 MHz Win98 for a 'dead' 1.2GHz computer with bad HD, flakey onboard USB, and probably dead onboard sound (the SB-PRO part did not work, anyway).

The second add-in USB card's second port worked.

The es1371 sound card was dead, the es1370 crackly, the third is a Turtle Beach by Aureal (later bought by Creative) with au8830 Vortex2 chip whose OSS driver web research found me the source code for at sourceforge. To compile it I unpacked, read README, and typed make install, then ignored the error message about modules.conf not existing and copied the module to the correct place manually.

The same source code can be used to compile au8830.o au8820.o au8810.o

Some of the source code is precompiled (not open source) which apparently means it cannot be compiled normally to work with a later kernel.
It was tested by the author on kernels 2.2.5-15, 2.2.12-30, 2.13, 2.16, and 2.4, and must be loaded (except maybe on the first of these):

insert -f au8830.o

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31/au8830.o
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl
- since it also works with 2.2.X kernels.

Said to work with the gameport and midi port and timidity etc.

The website says one of its drawbacks is a 16K buffer. It works offline with mplayer, but online even with 320K cache, at 24K or slower internet radio stations, it cuts out every few seconds for a few seconds and then stalls completely. Can this be fixed somehow? All my cards cut out a lot but this seems to be worse than the others.

The sound is excellent while it lasts.

The 24K/16000Hz or 22050Hz stations work okay for 30 sec before they start to cut out. Instead of losing bits, they are delayed a few seconds. I am connected at 45Kbit/sec.

I will try an Sb-Live card next.