baslinux - Re: [BL] vortex2 au8830 sound card

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] vortex2 au8830 sound card
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 16:21:48 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, sindi keesan wrote:

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

Same problem cutting out with streaming
audio. Connected at 45333kbit/sec.

Are you on dial-up? If so, then I would expect
45333bps to cut out. With a 56kbps modem you can
cleanly handle a 32kbps stream, but anything faster
than that is dicey.

Dialup, 45333 connection, streaming audio at 16-24K.

after 24 sec I started losing a few sec at a time
despite 320K buffer.

The size of the buffer doesn't matter. Once it is
exhausted, the stream will break up. It's like a
bathtub. It doesn't matter how full the bathtub is
when you start -- if the water is draining out faster
than it is flowing in, then eventually the bathtub
will be empty.

Steven's buffer explanation makes sense if the connection is not actually the 45333 shown by 'eznet log'.

I tested actual speed by downloading a 1MB pdf file from a fast site. Average speed 2Kbyte/sec = 16 KBit/sec, which explains why after 25-35 sec when the buffer empties I get only about 2/3 of the music from a 24K broadcast.

The modem also stops responding at all (for 10 min, until I hang up and dial again) every 25 min or so. I timed it - 3 times in the last 1.5 hours. The clock said it was 25 min after I ppp-off'ed but ppp listed the connect time as 48 minutes. Some clock chip is confused?

Whatever damaged onboard USB (and sound?) and the hard drive may have damaged the serial port as well. I have no free slots now that I have put in USB and sound cards. I will try again to identify onboard sound.

Got to send this before I lose connection again. I could use a slower computer to go online and save this one for compiling and DVD watching. If the network card works in this computer I can use the 486 laptop as a 'default gateway'.