baslinux - [BL] Line noise causes slow transfer speeds and disconnects, was Re: vortex2 au8830 sound card

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Line noise causes slow transfer speeds and disconnects, was Re: vortex2 au8830 sound card
  • Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 18:52:01 +0000 (UTC)

At 31.2K speed (confirmed by eznet log) the radio has been playing with 0%
(!!!!) loss for about 10 minutes now even when I type email. This leaves
me 31-24=7K for email which is annoying but not impossible and the radio
sounds REALLY nice. I should try streaming audio with my other
modems/computers at 31.2K. They tend to lose bits and then stop playing.

With a known-good SB Live card that sounds really good most of the time.

See http://www.HiWAAY.net/support/faq

"How do I force my modem to connect at a particular speed"
and
"What can I do about frequent disconnects"

Modems sometimes connect at a higher speed than they can maintain, particularly if the ISP is near the phone company and has little line noise, and you are not, which fools the newer 56K modems, and this makes them keep retraining and also lose the connection and have a very slow transfer rate.

They suggested noting the speed you usually connect at and going down one notch. They list AT commands for USR, Rockwell, Motorola, and Lucent.
(I used Motorola commands once to make a PCMCIA 56K Flex modem work at 33.6K instead of disconnecting).

I went from 45333 (&n30) to 44000 (&n29) and it played streaming audio uninterrupted for 30 min while I was typing up the results at my shell account, then abruptly disconnected me.

Now I am trying 42666.

NZ mms://202.7.7.90/rnz-cfm sounds like it is overdriving my speakers even at low volume. High-pitched rattle. During the weather report (max 25 light winds - while we are having min -20 C gale-force winds here), with what now sounds like Scottish rather than the nasal uppercrust BBC, it sounded quite bad. But they played Hummels' Bassoon Concerto. Does anyone else notice sound quality from rnz? Other stations sound okay on my setup.

Apart from this, no lost notes (in 30 min before I got disconnected).
42666 is still adequate for typing and listening. No retrains.

A software fix.

Other computers in the house also disconnect suddenly. I had only been attempting streaming audio on this one, which is farthest from the outdoor jack. We recently replaced the outside phone connection after an ice storm disintegrated it, about the same time I replaced the computer. Maybe the outside phone lines are just noisier after the severe ice storms. Lots of trees went down.

I will set all my modem speeds down a notch, or if needed, two, from where they connect automatically, to eliminate all the cutting out of streaming audio. Finally internet radio will be worth listening to.

We are not near the phone company. Are you, Steven?