baslinux - Re: [BL] vortex2 au8830 sound card

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] vortex2 au8830 sound card
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 15:51:43 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007, Greg Mayman wrote:

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 16:21:48 +0000 (UTC), sindi keesan wrote:

I tested actual speed by downloading a 1MB pdf file from a fast site.
Average speed 2Kbyte/sec = 16 KBit/sec

2kbytes/sec = 20 kbits/sec, as every byte has one start bit and
one stop bit added for synchronising purposes, making a total of
10 bits/byte.

Thanks. Over a 14.4Kilobits/sec connection I was getting up to 1630 (before the serial port buffer filled up?) falling gradually to 1495 bytes/sec upload, not 1440 bytes/sec - why? This comes out closer to 9 than 10. Maybe on a longer transfer it would have been 1440 by the end.

I remember this well from the days when we used to make our own
300 baud serial ports and "Kansas City" modems for bulk storing
data on audio cassettes.

Out of what?

. / \ from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia
. \_,-*_/ "Queen City of The South" 34:55 S 138:36 E

I have been reading on northbridges and southbridges. Northbridge is closest to the cpu. USB and sound are on the southbridge, which is connected to something via a super I/O. When the hard drive went bad maybe it affected the super I/O (tho new hard drives still work fine with the controller once you turn on prefetch and block mode). I think the super I/O controls the serial port (which is acting bad). Floppy controller and parallel port act okay. The USB and maybe the onboard sound are also bad. The northbridge handles the faster functions.

The computer with flakey floppy controller (works in DOS, sometimes in linux) has a bad serial controller. Too bad they don't put in enough ISA slots any more to replace problems with ISA controller cards. Another computer with failing onboard IDE controller also stopped booting. Serial problems don't usually seem to damage other parts of the board - must be lightning striking just that part of it. So bad-serial computers stay fixed once you replace the serial controller. This 1.2 GHz seems stable now apart from modem problems.