baslinux - Re: [BL] vortex2 au8830 sound card

  • From: "Samual Acorn" <sam.acorn AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] vortex2 au8830 sound card
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 13:28:09 -0600

is the modem internal? if so is it PCI? (if PCI thats your problem) if
its ISA then disable onboard COM2 (ttyS1) and set the internal as com2
(ttyS1)... if the modem is external and works fine with other systems
check that the serial port is good in the computer....

disabling onboard sound in the BIOS -will- disable it... (a way to
truely verify if its disabled is to boot/install windows and use
windows 'new hardware' probe.... if it doenst find the onboard sound
chip then its safe to say its disabled... if it finds it but has the
little yellow exclimation point over it saying the device has a
problem then its not completely disabled)

also... BL3 on a 1ghz machine does not a good match make.... perhaps a
larger system with better support for new hardware is in order?

On 14/02/07, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

>>> Are you on dial-up? If so, then I would expect
>>> 45333bps to cut out. With a 56kbps modem you can
>>> cleanly handle a 32kbps stream, but anything faster
>>> than that is dicey.
>>
>> Dialup, 45333 connection, streaming audio at 16-24K.

> I tested actual speed by downloading a 1MB pdf file from a fast site.
> Average speed 2Kbyte/sec = 16 KBit/sec, which explains why after 25-35 sec
> when the buffer empties I get only about 2/3 of the music from a 24K
> broadcast.
>
> The modem also stops responding at all (for 10 min, until I hang up and
> dial again) every 25 min or so. I timed it - 3 times in the last 1.5
> hours. The clock said it was 25 min after I ppp-off'ed but ppp listed the
> connect time as 48 minutes. Some clock chip is confused?

Tested upload speed several ways:

A. Dialed the ISP and tried to upload jpegs to a shell account

1. Kermit FTP - appeared not to work at all (maybe just too slow).

2. Kermit direct file transfer - worked very very slowly and
erratically (large chunks trasmitted then stalled for a while) and nearly
as many errors as transmitted packets. 30 slots of 30 in use.

3. Ran mini_httpd at my end, BL2 busybox ifconfig to determine my local
ip number (inet), and links from the shell account to download from my
computer to the shell account. Download speed ran 350 to 900 Bytes/sec
(less than 1KBytes/sec or 8Kbits/sec on a 56K modem).

When I go through the ISP, I get frequent periods of freezeup for a few
seconds at a time while doing anything - ssh'ed to shell account, browsing
from my own computer.

B. Used Kermit to dial the shell account directly and kermit file
transfer. This time 18 of 30 slots in use. Completely stable connection
at 1.6 falling slowing to 1.5 KBytes/sec. No freezeups. This probably
explains my 3 hours of connection yesterday without problems - I had
dialed with Kermit then ssh'ed to another account.

The shell account I dial has 14.4K modems (which explains the 1.6K uploads
- 14.4/9) but someone just got the 33K bank working after three years of
fiddling (he found a bad network card and bad software). This solves the
email and text browsing problem, and I will use some other computer for
internet radio and graphical browsing.

The ISP is Earthlink and I doubt they are providing 2 Kbyte/sec service.
Why would the ISP connection be so slow and unstable on this one computer?

--sam
--
Web; http://mephitus.no-ip.org/
Skype; Mephitus