baslinux - Re: [BL] pure-ftpd pppd passwd (was: [delete])

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] pure-ftpd pppd passwd (was: [delete])
  • Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 13:47:22 +0000

On Sun, Dec 31, 2006 at 04:06:31PM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:
> >> Can ftpget or at least a full ftp copy entire directories like
> >> Steven's send/receive routines?
> >
> > I don't know ftpget (not on my box, either, though ftpput is).
> > Some FTP clients can do that. Ncftp is an excellent app that I
> > use on debian. There's a tgz for it on one of the BL packages
> > pages.
>
> The busybox 1.1.0 I compiled has ftpget. Steven prefers to use wget
> but I forget how to add the login:
>
> wget http://login:password:URL ?

Don't know. Never used wget for ftp. I have ncftp on debian,
and it works mighty fine.

I can't imagine doing FTP without a full client available,
so that you can connect to the server and browse the files
there. But it wouldn't have to be anything as large and
complex as ncftp.

> > Steven's send script tars the dirs first, then sends them.
> It takes longer to tar than to send on a slow computer.

:-)

[delete]
> > If you run pppd directly, as I do, here's the 'poff' script
> > I aliased to 'f' in my /etc/profile:
> >
> > #!/bin/sh
> > kill `ps | sed -n '/pppd/s/\( *\)\([0-9][0-9]*\)\( *.*\)/\2/p'`
> >
> > That just extracts the PID and feeds it to kill.
>
> Steven (?) suggested something shorter:
>
> kill `pidof pppd`

Shorter in writing, but not shorter on disk space.
And because it's in a script, you only have to write
it once...

I didn't know there was such a utility. Sure a waste of space if
you have sed and ps already. And I've never heard of a unix/linux
box that didn't. Cut would work instead of sed, and I've never
seen a unix/linux box without it. It's in busybox.

By-the-way, I'm now using BL for my main OS. All of my recent
posts have been from BL.

Lee

BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful
http://www.basiclinux.com.ru