baslinux - Re: [BL] pure-ftpd pppd passwd (was: [delete])

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] pure-ftpd pppd passwd (was: [delete])
  • Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 16:06:31 +0000 (UTC)

Can ftpget or at least a full ftp copy entire directories like
Steven's send/receive routines?

I don't know ftpget (not on my box, either, though ftpput is).
Some FTP clients can do that. Ncftp is an excellent app that I
use on debian. There's a tgz for it on one of the BL packages
pages.

The busybox 1.1.0 I compiled has ftpget. Steven prefers to use wget
but I forget how to add the login:

wget http://login:password:URL ?

Steven's send script tars the dirs first, then sends them.
It takes longer to tar than to send on a slow computer.

A very good day I had a few years ago was the day I deleted
windoze from my hdd. And used a utility named "shred" to
write random numbers over it 25X before formatting it in
ext2 and swap.

Sometimes I need to read WORD files with original format, but I never did use the computer I set up to do that with WORDVIEW. People send pdf instead.

and we have linux on the other
drive in the computer (or can run it from floppy disk and probably fit
pure-ftpd in RAMdisk).

I may just use dd between equal size partitions.

Usually, it's better to format the drive and mount it and
use cp -a. About windoze I don't know and don't care to.

After an hour or so I deleted the partitions and started over and used cp -a. dd is fine between identical drives and I thought it had worked to clone Win98 but then Win98 kept complaining the drive was full (it was not). dd is much faster.

If you run pppd directly, as I do, here's the 'poff' script
I aliased to 'f' in my /etc/profile:

#!/bin/sh
kill `ps | sed -n '/pppd/s/\( *\)\([0-9][0-9]*\)\( *.*\)/\2/p'`

That just extracts the PID and feeds it to kill.

Steven (?) suggested something shorter:

kill `pidof pppd`

Lee