baslinux - Re: [BL] pure-ftpd pppd passwd (was: [delete])

  • From: lforrestster AT gmail.com
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] pure-ftpd pppd passwd (was: [delete])
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 18:24:35 +0000

On Sun, Dec 31, 2006 at 01:46:22AM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Dec 2006, Lee Forrest wrote:

>>> On Sat, Dec 30, 2006 at 11:59:43PM +0000, sindi keesan
>>>wrote: [delete] Copy pure_ftpd to /usr/sbin (you do not
>>>need the rest of Ron's package)
>>> [delete]

> > Your whole post is helpful, Sindi. I've just downloaded Ron's
> > package and am reading the docs.
>

> > I post things with myself in mind, so I can refer to them later
> > after forgetting how things work. Half of what I find useful
in the BL archives is by me ;=)

Clever. And helpful to others, too.

> Please briefly summarize any other useful features of pure-ftpd
> and whether any of the other files are also helpful (binaries
> or documentation).

I will, in time. Just started. Haven't even done:
# pkg ...
yet.

Just 'tar tvzf' to see what's there. Except:

The README (74K) , which is a seperate file on Ron's site,
contains, as near as I can tell, the whole manual. Some
irrelevant stuff for us, but that stuff can just be deleted.

Good going, Ron.

In contrast, I downloaded the passwd.tgz package from the
main add-ons dir, and it has _zero_ docs.

However, it's easy to use. Kind of self-explanatory.
Just install it and run passwd and create a root password.
Nice job, Steven.

But some docs would be helpful. I will be creating my own
man page for it.

> Can ftpget or at least a full ftp copy entire directories like
> Steven's send/receive routines?

I don't know ftpget (not on my box, either, though ftpput is).
Some FTP clients can do that. Ncftp is an excellent app that I
use on debian. There's a tgz for it on one of the BL packages
pages.

Steven's send script tars the dirs first, then sends them.

> We are copying partitions between hard drives.
> Two of ours failed today (Windows and DOS)

I'd call that good luck :-)

A very good day I had a few years ago was the day I deleted
windoze from my hdd. And used a utility named "shred" to
write random numbers over it 25X before formatting it in
ext2 and swap.

> and we have linux on the other
> drive in the computer (or can run it from floppy disk and probably fit
> pure-ftpd in RAMdisk).
>
> I may just use dd between equal size partitions.

Usually, it's better to format the drive and mount it and
use cp -a. About windoze I don't know and don't care to.

----------------

If you run pppd directly, as I do, here's the 'poff' script
I aliased to 'f' in my /etc/profile:

#!/bin/sh
kill `ps | sed -n '/pppd/s/\( *\)\([0-9][0-9]*\)\( *.*\)/\2/p'`

That just extracts the PID and feeds it to kill.

To start it, I just aliased pppd to 'p'.

(Be sure to make the script file executable with 'chmod +rx'
before putting in a directory in your $PATH.)

Lee

--
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful
http://www.basiclinux.com.ru