baslinux - Re: [BL] base64 (MIME) encoder/decoder

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] base64 (MIME) encoder/decoder
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 16:46:09 -0800

On Thu, Dec 28, 2006 at 04:50:43PM +0200, Karolis Lyvens wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 27, 2006 at 08:35:19PM -0800, Lee Forrest wrote:
> > Should have noted here that elvis is one of the versions of vi, like
> > nvi, which I use on debian. Not vim, which is a whole 'nother ballgame.
> > It's vi trying to be emacs. A desktop environment of sorts.
>
> I disagree - vim's extra functions mostly are related to text editing,
> and not as irrelevant to text editing as emacs modes (web browsing,
> nethack playing, IRC or mail reading) are. For example: text folding,
> autocompletion, command history, scripting, macros, etc.
>
> By the way, Vim 5.8 works smoothly on a 50MHz 4MB RAM laptop running DOS
> (vim 6.(3|4) works fine on similar specs too, but i haven't run any kind
> of benchmarks), so i cannot complain much about it's resource usage. I
> think that vim 7.0 would be a different matter, though.

Okay. I _did_ get a little carried away. But I've been using nvi for
quite a while and never seen the need for vim. The elvis that comes
with SW4.0 seems just fine. There isn't anything in the way of editing
it can't do.

Vim is bloated with "user-friendliness" that I just find annoying.

Vanilla vi, with macros and aliases, can do anything _I_ care to
do.

Back to the basic question:

For that little script, _any_ editor could be used.

Lee

--
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful
http://www.basiclinux.com.ru