baslinux - Re: [BL] base64 (MIME) encoder/decoder

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] base64 (MIME) encoder/decoder
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 18:32:40 +0000 (UTC)

Lee Forrest wrote (concerning replacements for 'man').

I have a sed script somewhere that would do the same job on BL3.

BL3 does not have man (the package was about 10MB). Several of us came up
with a script involving man2html and lynx to read man pages, but it does
poorly on upper ASCII characters. Can you write a better man replacement?

I like the basic BL approach. Might be able to come up with an
apropos-like (man -k) script that would search the descriptions
of all the manpages for the occurrence of a string specified on
the commandline. This would be very useful.

Why descriptions rather than file names?

It would be faster and simpler to create a sort-of database with those
in it, and use it. Which is what apropos/whatis do. Wouldn't be a huge
file.

locatedb does this
You need to update it when you add man pages.

And that sed script does work for some types (troff/nroff/groff) of
manpages to convert them to plain text. Could make another for the
other common type.

So man could have a -h option that catted a file that read
something like this:

man program_name

man -k string #open descriptions that have the string in them
# in less

zless if gzipped

man -c file # convert man page to plain text and gzip it and put
# it in /usr/man and delete the manpage

I would run this on all my manpages to start with.

man -u # update description database (could run at boot from
# /etc/rc

But hang loose. I've got the mutt from your site working on BL
(thanks again), but haven't tested msmtp or fetchmail or procmail
and straightened out their configuration files, if necessary.

With a few good scripts mutt should not be needed for basic file upload and download including base64 encoding/decodgin.

Many thanks to David Moberg for creating the uclibc, statically-linked
executables of msmtp and fetchmail, and the new pppd-2.4.1 dynamically
linked libc5, for me. (And anyone who asks me for them. I don't have
a website right now, but will netcat them over.)

You could ask David to post them, and/or I could do so.

Got procmail/formail from SW4.0.

I know how to write .procmailrc and .forward to filter spam as it arrives in my shell account. Is there some way to filter it before downloading with POP?

Making the shift from debian to BL is my top computer priority at
present.

debian 5923 directories, 434851 files 3.2G

BL 116 directories, 974 files 23M

What programs does this include? Abiword is a biggie (12MB). The few times I tried to use it to edit WORD files it botched the format. Could not even import tables. They now send pdf instead. I can print that with netpbm after converting pdftopbm.

I've installed elvis from SW4.0 (I really need a full-featured editor)
and altered the man script like so:

gunzip /usr/man/$1.gz &&
/usr/bin/elvis /usr/man/$1 &&
gzip /usr/man/$1

Would this also work with the busybox vi (in the version I compiled,
1.1.0)?

I tested and it displays the man pages with tags, same as less does.

But how much longer will floppies even be manufactured?

I keep everything on hard disk. My 1.44MB floppies are always failing.
THe 720s last longer, 360K's almost forever. We are now using USB memory
sticks for most file transfers, or zip drive (parport) if no USB>

Are those not using volatile RAM? If so, how can you trust them?

File transfers, not long-term storage. So far neither medium has failed.

Get me the templates for the various mails_with_attachments you
want to send, and I'll write that script.

Do I need different templates depending on the file format (jpg zip
doc..)?

Not sure. Maybe if those are specified in the boundary markers. Hmmm...
I guess not. No reason the script to couldn't read the filetype and
assign it to a local environment variable. I don't _think_...

So do you need my help for this project? (I have to do some paid work now).

Lee