baslinux - Re: [BL] base64 (MIME) encoder/decoder

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] base64 (MIME) encoder/decoder
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 11:40:36 -0800

sindi keesan wrote:

> Many thanks to David Moberg for creating the uclibc, statically-linked
> executables of msmtp and fetchmail, and the new pppd-2.4.1 dynamically
> linked libc5, for me. (And anyone who asks me for them. I don't have
> a website right now, but will netcat them over.)

You could ask David to post them, and/or I could do so.

http://davidjmoberg.googlepages.com/ppp-2.4.1-i486-libc5.tgz
http://davidjmoberg.googlepages.com/fetchmail-6.2.5-i486-uclibc0.tgz
http://davidjmoberg.googlepages.com/msmtp-1.4.0-i486-uclibc0.tgz

I ran out of space at the other site. I should move stuff from there
over to here. If there is interest, I can put these on my BL3 page.

The latest version of ppp is 2.4.3, released two years ago. I do not
know how it differs from 2.4.1. The BL3 pppd is perfect if you stay
with a sane kernel (i.e. 2.2.27 or earlier).

> debian 5923 directories, 434851 files 3.2G
>
> BL 116 directories, 974 files 23M

What programs does this include? Abiword is a biggie (12MB). The few
times I tried to use it to edit WORD files it botched the format.

Serious Word editing requires OpenOffice or the real thing, I think.
Even then it's hit-or-miss for anything complicated. Not really much
better than "strings file.doc".

Could not even import tables.

AbiWord 1 doesn't do tables.

>> Would this also work with the busybox vi (in the version I compiled,
>> 1.1.0)?

I tested and it displays the man pages with tags, same as less does.

I wonder if sed can be used to convert the manroff formatting to ANSI codes.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=manroff+to+ansi

Hmm, looks like no one else is doing that. If I have time I might be
able to write a BL sed script to do that. Or maybe Lee could. He seems
to know a lot about shell/sed and that sort of thing.

>>> But how much longer will floppies even be manufactured?
>>
>> I keep everything on hard disk. My 1.44MB floppies are always failing.
>> THe 720s last longer, 360K's almost forever. We are now using USB memory
>> sticks for most file transfers, or zip drive (parport) if no USB>
>
> Are those not using volatile RAM? If so, how can you trust them?

They seem to be more durable than hard drives physically (you can drop
them off a table, for example) and nothing short of an EMP or short
circuit should be able to erase them without a computer. If you shield
them correctly and take care of them, they should last for centuries.

> Lee

Sindi

David