baslinux - [BL] base64 (MIME) encoder/decoder

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] base64 (MIME) encoder/decoder
  • Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 00:02:05 +0000 (UTC)

I found source code base64-1.4.tar.gz (202K) which compiled perfectly with the compiler and glibc from SW8.1 and is at my site and also attached.

What got installed was only the binary and man page, so I packaged those.

The 202K source code file includes a base64.pdf (160K) and a base64.exe (36K - for DOS?) and a b64.png file (a colored picture of the words base64 Encode and Decode Base64 files with shadow) and the man pages in html for base64 and htmla nd text for rfc1341 (a standard). Should I post any of these or add to the package?

The binary is 37K, much smaller than mutt, but too big to add to the BL3 floppy set. Everything else I ran across used java or perl.

I experimented: base64 wpce.ogg - filled the screen with ascii.
base64 wpce.ogg wpce.64 - produced a file 25% larger than the ogg.
base64 -d wpce.64 wpce2.64 - produced a file identical to wpce.ogg.

-e encode and -d decode are optional

Would I simply encode a binary file and then import it at the end of a message written with pmail/pico?

To decode an attached base64 file do I first edit a received mail to remove the part before the attachment (header and message body) and then decode that?

Could someone come up with simple scripts to send a prewritten message body and a binary attachment that has not been decoded (using pipes?) and to automatically decode a received message with attachment?

SEND $1 $2 $3 $4
where 1 - Subject 2 - To 3 - text message 4 - binary file to attach

(I have not used pmail to download mails, forget how).

or better yet, a script that deals with 1 2 and 4 but lets you write the message text and then send it (or put in outbox).

Based on pmail and base64, for those of us who don't need to authenticate mail separately from dialin.

I don't see a way to add the From (if different from the reply-to in .pmailrc).

It was explained that base64 encoding uses fewer and more widely used symbols than uuencode.