baslinux - Re: [BL] base64 (MIME) encoder/decoder

  • From: Karolis Lyvens <karolisl AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: lforrestster AT gmail.com
  • Subject: Re: [BL] base64 (MIME) encoder/decoder
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 16:50:43 +0200

On Wed, Dec 27, 2006 at 08:35:19PM -0800, Lee Forrest wrote:
> Should have noted here that elvis is one of the versions of vi, like
> nvi, which I use on debian. Not vim, which is a whole 'nother ballgame.
> It's vi trying to be emacs. A desktop environment of sorts.

I disagree - vim's extra functions mostly are related to text editing,
and not as irrelevant to text editing as emacs modes (web browsing,
nethack playing, IRC or mail reading) are. For example: text folding,
autocompletion, command history, scripting, macros, etc.

By the way, Vim 5.8 works smoothly on a 50MHz 4MB RAM laptop running DOS
(vim 6.(3|4) works fine on similar specs too, but i haven't run any kind
of benchmarks), so i cannot complain much about it's resource usage. I
think that vim 7.0 would be a different matter, though.