baslinux - Re: [BL] base64 (MIME) encoder/decoder

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] base64 (MIME) encoder/decoder
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 02:43:36 +0000 (UTC)

Apparently makefiles don't strip binaries for you. I wonder why.

I think they could. My impression is that they will do whatever
you want.

They do whatever is specified in them. I never see strip included.

Comes to 6.4K with man page in man format. Text might be smaller.

I turn all man format (troll/groff) manpages into plain text on
my debian by putting them in a dir called "man1" and:

# man -M /path/to/dir/above/man1/ program_name | col -b > program_name,
then gzip them and put them into /usr/man on BL.

I have a sed script somewhere that would do the same job on BL3.

BL3 does not have man (the package was about 10MB). Several of us came up with a script involving man2html and lynx to read man pages, but it does poorly on upper ASCII characters. Can you write a better man replacement?

I've installed elvis from SW4.0 (I really need a full-featured editor)
and altered the man script like so:

gunzip /usr/man/$1.gz &&
/usr/bin/elvis /usr/man/$1 &&
gzip /usr/man/$1

Would this also work with the busybox vi (in the version I compiled, 1.1.0)?

Because I like to to put notes in the man pages, mainly usage examples,
enclosing them in [[...]] so they don't get mixed up with the original
page.

Those "&&" just mean that the command preceding them has to run
successfully before the next line is executed.

But honestly, I don't see a truly functional BL fitting on less
than about a dozen floppies. Which is doable.

But how much longer will floppies even be manufactured?

I keep everything on hard disk. My 1.44MB floppies are always failing. THe 720s last longer, 360K's almost forever. We are now using USB memory sticks for most file transfers, or zip drive (parport) if no USB>

Thanks for the neat apps, Sindi,

Get me the templates for the various mails_with_attachments you
want to send, and I'll write that script.

Do I need different templates depending on the file format (jpg zip doc..)?

Lee

--
Basic Linux: Small is Beautiful
http://www.basiclinux.com.ru