baslinux - Re: [BL] base64 (MIME) encoder/decoder

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] base64 (MIME) encoder/decoder
  • Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 15:08:31 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006, Lee Forrest wrote:

On Mon, Dec 25, 2006 at 12:02:05AM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:
I found source code base64-1.4.tar.gz (202K) which compiled perfectly with
the compiler and glibc from SW8.1 and is at my site and also attached.

mimencode is only 9K. As far as I know it will mimencode (and
decode) anything.

Which program is used to shrink the size of compiled binaries? strip?
I will check my notes.

9k would fit into BL3.40 better, even on 2 floppies.
From the man page:
By default, mimencode reads standard input, and sends a
"base64" encoded version of the input to standard output.

That app must do a lot more than mimencode.
It does not list anything more. Written in c - is mimencode assembler?
I experimented: base64 wpce.ogg - filled the screen with ascii.

That's base64: In order to send something through the mails it has
to be ascii, not binary.

Here's the above man page excerpt in base64:
No characters except text. uuencode uses the rest of the keyboard too.
Is this 6-bit instead of 7-bit?

#REVTQ1JJUFRJT04KICAgICAgIFRoZSBtaW1lbmNvZGUgcHJvZ3JhbSBzaW1wbHkgY29udmVy

I would need to specify the file name some place too. I will look at a mail with mime attachment.

Would I simply encode a binary file and then import it at the end of a
message written with pmail/pico?

Not if you wanted the receiver's mail client to be able to deal with
it. It needs the special header and boundary markers.

Like your post here has.

Could someone come up with simple scripts to send a prewritten message
body and a binary attachment that has not been decoded (using pipes?) and
to automatically decode a received message with attachment?

If you'll figure out what the headers and boundary markers have to
be, I'll write the script.

SEND $1 $2 $3 $4
where 1 - Subject 2 - To 3 - text message 4 - binary file to attach

(I have not used pmail to download mails, forget how).

or better yet, a script that deals with 1 2 and 4 but lets you write the
message text and then send it (or put in outbox).

Neither choice is a problem.

I will provide more info later this week.

Based on pmail and base64, for those of us who don't need to authenticate
mail separately from dialin.

It shouldn't matter what you are using to send the mail off. Just
make sure it isn't piping the mail through something to alter it
before sending.

I only have pmail.

Can you write your own small mail program that authenticates, maybe using telnet? Does your ISP work to telnet mail?

I don't see a way to add the From (if different from the reply-to in
.pmailrc).

That utility baffles me.
It is not intuitive, but Steven wrote a script for using it. I cannot find a way to exit without his script except Ctrl C.

Here's the same manpage excerpt in uuencode (once again, I've added
the ^# to every line):

#begin 660 foo2

File name, which is not in your above sample for base64.
#M1$530U))4%1)3TX*("`@("`@(%1H92!M:6UE;F-O9&4@<')O9W)A;2!S:6UP
#M;'D@8V]N=F5R=',@82!B>71E("!S=')E86T@(&EN=&\*("`@("`@"@H`

Lee

Thanks for the explanations.