baslinux - Re: [BL] USB support

  • From: Christof Lange <cce.zizkov AT volny.cz>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB support
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 20:32:48

On 28 Dec 06 at 16:20, keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org wrote:

>If you still use DOS, download from my site the two .sys modules and put
>them in config.sys and you will be assigned a drive letter for your flash
>memory stick after you plug it in (or plug in before booting and leave off
>the /w, which means to wait.
>
>devicehigh=aspi8dos.sys /v /r /w

Where are these modules on your site?

The main reason why I want USB support in Linux is that I have been
working with USB memory sticks under DOS for almost one year.
Meanwhile our office computers have been entirely freed from data.
They contain only system and application software, an identical set
on every machine, whereas the user data - texts, databases, web
pages, graphic files - has emigrated to flash sticks. Now I am
looking for a practical way of doing backups without needing to
reboot the computer for every flash stick again.

>> Thank you for this information that will probably save me a lot of
>> time. Anyway I do not use BL3 very much. My ideal for the intended
>> tool would be a modified RAM version of BL2 with support for flash
>> sticks, a CD-burner and a filemanager on it. First I will test
>> just to replace the kernel on my present BL2 installations.
>
>If my la kernel does not do everything you want I can add features for you.
>Or subtract any you do not use. The lm kernel has CD-ROM support as
>modules. All my kernels can use the same modules.

I already realized that CD-ROM support was missing. And I am not
completely sure what kind of kernel support will be needed for burning
CDs.

Christof

Ceskobratrska cirkev evangelicka - Betlemska kaple na Zizkove
Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov