baslinux - Re: [BL] USB support

  • From: Christof Lange <cce.zizkov AT volny.cz>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB support
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 09:41:49

Hi Steven,

thanks for your response. With your and Sindi's help I certainly
can solve the problems with the kernel upgrade.

On 28 Dec 06 at 16:50, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

>Christof Lange wrote:
>>
>> Can I get them from newer sections of the Slackware site?
>> Or do they require only library upgrades?
>
>BL3 normally runs libc5 executables -- available in
>Slackware 4 and earlier. It is possible to upgrade
>the libraries to glibc2 (which is much larger) and
>run executables from Slackware 7 and later.

Fortunately I had already exchanged kernels for Slackware 3.5 and 7
in the past. I was conscious of the modules and the glibc2 libraries
which can cause error messages like 'file not found'.

>> Is there a way to run an existing BL installation
>> (BL3 or Slackware 7.1) with the experimental kernel?
>
>It is possible to use various kernels (2.0, 2.2, 2.4, 2.6)
>with BL2 or BL3. However, you will need to put the modules
>that match the kernel in /lib/modules.

So as long as I do not mix up modules for different kernels, my
existing SW7.1 installation should work?

>In addition, a few
>executables (like pppd) may need to be changed to match the
>kernel.

There seem to exist at least some programs which could be
disturbed by the kernel. I tested mc (I remember that you do not
use mc very often).

>Also, the kernel must have an appropriate config
>for the filesystem -- for example, in order for a kernel to
>work with the BL3 loop version, it must have loop capability
>in the config.

For the moment I will leave out BL3 and try to get David's and
Sindi's 2.4 kernels working with my BL2 installations.

What exactly means 'capability in the config'? Does it mean that it
is not possible to insmod the loop module additionally?

Christof

Ceskobratrska cirkev evangelicka - Betlemska kaple na Zizkove
Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov