baslinux - [BL] USB support

  • From: Christof Lange <cce.zizkov AT volny.cz>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] USB support
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 09:24:29

Hi list,

though a bit late (or too soon), receive my best wishes for the
Christmas holidays.

Yesterday, I started to clean up hard disk partitions using one CD
burner and a couple of flash memory sticks. I wondered whether this
would be an opportunity to make use of the Sindi's USB kernel that I
downloaded a couple of months ago. I would highly appreciate if I
could use memory sticks with Linux exactly the way I used floppies
in the past. So I was happy to realize that the USB kernel allows to
plug and unplug memory sticks without needing to reboot the system.

At this stage, however, I have some questions:

1. Is it possible to pipe all that screen output to some file? I
would prefer to read only the basics on the screen, eg. whether
a new device appears and whether a mount was successful or not.

2. I understand the files I downloaded (INITRD.GZ and ZIMAGE) to be
rather a demo and that it is up to me to add the functionality I
need. When I attempted to run programs (mc) from any BL
installations (bl2, bl3, slack7.1) I got error messages 'file not
found'. As there is plenty of space on the ram disk, I would like ta
ask: Is there a way to add some basic utilities to this RAM version?
I basically mean mc, but cdrtools would be nice, too. Can I get
them from newer sections of the Slackware site? Or do they require
only library upgrades?

3. Is there a way to run an existing BL installation (BL3 or
Slackware 7.1) with the experimental kernel? (Yes, I tested the
modules for 2.2.x kernels - without success).

4. I did not really follow the discussion on BL list. But I think,
meanwhile, several USB capable kernels have been uploaded. Have
there been any improvements that could meet the problems specified?

Regards,
Christof Lange

Ceskobratrska cirkev evangelicka - Betlemska kaple na Zizkove
Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov