baslinux - Re: [BL] USB support

  • From: Christof Lange <cce.zizkov AT volny.cz>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB support
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 04:28:23

On 29 Dec 06 at 14:26, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

>Christof Lange wrote:
>>
>> Is there a way to change the size of /dev/ram0?
>
>Yes, or you can mount a second 4mb ramdisk:
>--------------------------------------
>mke2fs -i8192 -m0 /dev/ram1 4096
>mount -t ext2 /dev/ram1 /usr/local/bin
>--------------------------------------
>You don't have to mount it at /usr/local/bin
>(that is just an example).

Yes I found these commands in the /etc/rc file that creates the
second RAM disk for BL2 in /tmp. But for the USB project I do
not need free disk capacity but a bigger bassinux.gz.

>> Is this size in some relation to the line
>>
>> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_SIZE=4096
>
>Yes, the BL3 kernel has a maximum ramdisk of 4mb.
>It can handle up to 16 ramdisks.
>
>> in the Config file used while compiling the kernel?
>
>Yes. It can be changed when you compile the kernel.
>
>> Would Sindi be able to change this figure, eg. to 8192
>
>Yes, I once compiled a kernel for a 16mb ramdisk
>and used fs.img (after trimming and gzipping) as
>baslinux.gz.

This is great. So when Sindi finds some time to create
a custom kernel for me she also can add the necessary
capacity of the RAM disk. In the meantime I can work on the
baslinux.gz with the applications and scripts.

Could you please explain me just one more thing: How do I create a
new baslinux.gz file with let me say 8192 kb. Until now I only
modified existing RAM disk versions. I know how to mount them with
the loop option. But I have never created a new one with a different
size.

Christof

Ceskobratrska cirkev evangelicka - Betlemska kaple na Zizkove
Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov