baslinux - Re: [BL] USB support

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB support
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 16:50:06 +1300

Christof Lange wrote:

> Can I get them from newer sections of the Slackware site?
> Or do they require only library upgrades?

BL3 normally runs libc5 executables -- available in
Slackware 4 and earlier. It is possible to upgrade
the libraries to glibc2 (which is much larger) and
run executables from Slackware 7 and later.

> Is there a way to run an existing BL installation
> (BL3 or Slackware 7.1) with the experimental kernel?

It is possible to use various kernels (2.0, 2.2, 2.4, 2.6)
with BL2 or BL3. However, you will need to put the modules
that match the kernel in /lib/modules. In addition, a few
executables (like pppd) may need to be changed to match the
kernel. Also, the kernel must have an appropriate config
for the filesystem -- for example, in order for a kernel to
work with the BL3 loop version, it must have loop capability
in the config.