baslinux - Re: [BL] USB support

  • From: Christof Lange <cce.zizkov AT volny.cz>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB support
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 10:34:28

On 28 Dec 06 at 2:19, keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org wrote:

>> Yesterday, I started to clean up hard disk partitions using one CD
>> burner and a couple of flash memory sticks. I wondered whether this
>> would be an opportunity to make use of the Sindi's USB kernel that I
>
>You probably downloaded David Moberg's specialized 1-floppy linux and maybe
>his userspec.tgz which contains the related modules. The 1-floppy BL was
>designed to view and download images from USB camera (USB-storage device)
>type and other USB storage devices such as memory sticks.

Hi Sindi,

the version I downloaded obviously does not need to install the
modules manually. It loads them at the beginning automatically and
ends up with the etc/issue display explaining the main commands
(topics 1-6). All that is required from the user is insert flash
sticks and mount them as sda1-sdd1 devices. This works perfectly
(even if the screen is filled with a lot of messages which I would
not need to see every time).

I will now have a look at David's site and look for userspec.tgz and
find out what this is about. I knew only the packet of modules meant
as add-on for the 2.2.26 kernel - that one did not work on any of my
computers.

>> 1. Is it possible to pipe all that screen output to some file? I
>> would prefer to read only the basics on the screen, eg. whether
>> a new device appears and whether a mount was successful or not.
>
>I don't follow this. When I insmod usb-storage it tells me there is a
>/dev/sda1. I can mount this manually. (I don't have David's latest
>version working, the boot part is hardware specific and does not like my
>current computers).

This is only of esthetical importance. As soon as I get anything
to work in the way I like, I will try to write a script that can
check success of plugging and mounting operations without displaying
all these messages on the screen. Please, forget about this question.
The other ones are more important.

>> 2. I understand the files I downloaded (INITRD.GZ and ZIMAGE) to be
>> rather a demo and that it is up to me to add the functionality I
>> need. When I attempted to run programs (mc) from any BL
>> installations (bl2, bl3, slack7.1) I got error messages 'file not
>> found'. As there is plenty of space on the ram disk, I would like ta ask:
>> Is there a way to add some basic utilities to this RAM version? I
>> basically mean mc, but cdrtools would be nice, too. Can I get them from
>> newer sections of the Slackware site? Or do they require only library
>> upgrades?
>

>Boot ext2 BL3 or BL2 with David's kernel (add his modules in
>/lib/modules/2.4.31 by unpackaging userspec.tgz there).
>Then you can use all your programs. To use USB you need to insmod some
>scsi and usb modules. Search the archives for details (I think it is
>usb_core, uhci or ohci, scsi_mod, sd_mod, usb-storage).

Thank you. This is what I needed to hear. I probably made a mistake
and to try again. But I will have to look at usespec.tgz first. It
probably contains not only the usb-modules, but also other modules
(shlc, ppp, loop, plip ...) which will be needed in BL.

What I tried is exactly this: I started David's kernel in RAM:

loadlin.exe zimage root=/dev/ram rw initrd=initrd.gz

Then tried to start run programs from my hard disk partition (SW7.1)
and from BL3 add-ons. I will look at the start-up routines in
initrd.gz in order to see what is necessary and use the kernel to
boot my BL2 installation.

>The 2.2.26 kernel is broken for usb-storage.

Yes, this is a pity.

>The 2.4.31 kernels don't seem to work correctly in loop BL3 (you cannot
>write to the loop file system).

Thank you for this information that will probably save me a lot of
time. Anyway I do not use BL3 very much. My ideal for the intended
tool would be a modified RAM version of BL2 with support for flash
sticks, a CD-burner and a filemanager on it. First I will test
just to replace the kernel on my present BL2 installations.

>I also compiled several 2.4.31 kernels (using a different glibc so you
>cannot mix my modules with David's kernel and vice versa).
>http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31 - should have David's and my kernels.

This is what I would like to hear more about. The technical
descriptions on your website are a bit cryptic for me. I will read
them again and try to ask some questions.

>> 3. Is there a way to run an existing BL installation (BL3 or
>> Slackware 7.1) with the experimental kernel?

>Just boot (loadlin or lilo) with a 2.4.31 kernel and copy over the
>modules to /lib/modules/2.4.31 (and DO NOT mix my kernel and modules with
>David's or you will crash spectacularly and need to run e2fsck).

I will download the latest versions and keep them apart from each
other.

>> 4. I did not really follow the discussion on BL list. But I think,
>> meanwhile, several USB capable kernels have been uploaded. Have
>> there been any improvements that could meet the problems specified?
>
>Any of them should work, I think. David's kernel supports USB mouse and
>keyboard and other devices that my kernels do not. It is larger. My latest
>kernels (smf and ly for low-ram laptop) support using ipchains for
>firewall.

All I am interested in is support of USB memory devices. Is this
implemented in all of them?

>I hope I did not misunderstand your problem.

No, you did not. Thank you for interpreting them to the list ;-)

Christof

Ceskobratrska cirkev evangelicka - Betlemska kaple na Zizkove
Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov