baslinux - Re: [BL] USB support

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: Christof Lange <cce.zizkov AT volny.cz>, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB support
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 16:20:38 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006, Christof Lange wrote:

Yesterday, I started to clean up hard disk partitions using one CD
burner and a couple of flash memory sticks. I wondered whether this
would be an opportunity to make use of the Sindi's USB kernel that I

You probably downloaded David Moberg's specialized 1-floppy linux and maybe
his userspec.tgz which contains the related modules. The 1-floppy BL was
designed to view and download images from USB camera (USB-storage device)
type and other USB storage devices such as memory sticks.

Hi Sindi,

the version I downloaded obviously does not need to install the
modules manually. It loads them at the beginning automatically and
ends up with the etc/issue display explaining the main commands
(topics 1-6). All that is required from the user is insert flash
sticks and mount them as sda1-sdd1 devices. This works perfectly
(even if the screen is filled with a lot of messages which I would
not need to see every time).

David compiled this 1-floppy BL specifically for use with cameras but then added a nice routine for USB mice and keyboards (so I could test them). His zgv viewer is uclibc based and should not be used in regular BL3 or BL2 unless you know how to put one of the vgalib libraries in a different location and use it when you call that zgv, and use a different copy of that library for other svgalib programs such as the delinux svgalib. Use a non-uclibc zgv.

I will now have a look at David's site and look for userspec.tgz and
find out what this is about. I knew only the packet of modules meant
as add-on for the 2.2.26 kernel - that one did not work on any of my
computers.

2.2.26 works with USB except not with USB storage.

If you still use DOS, download from my site the two .sys modules and put them in config.sys and you will be assigned a drive letter for your flash memory stick after you plug it in (or plug in before booting and leave off the /w, which means to wait.

devicehigh=aspi8dos.sys /v /r /w

Thank you for this information that will probably save me a lot of
time. Anyway I do not use BL3 very much. My ideal for the intended
tool would be a modified RAM version of BL2 with support for flash
sticks, a CD-burner and a filemanager on it. First I will test
just to replace the kernel on my present BL2 installations.

If my la kernel does not do everything you want I can add features for you. Or subtract any you do not use. The lm kernel has CD-ROM support as modules. All my kernels can use the same modules.

I also compiled several 2.4.31 kernels (using a different glibc so you
cannot mix my modules with David's kernel and vice versa).
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31 - should have David's and my kernels.

This is what I would like to hear more about. The technical
descriptions on your website are a bit cryptic for me. I will read
them again and try to ask some questions.

Please help me to fix them. They were primarily written to remind me what I put there and how to use it, and are not up to date. (My latest three kernels also have ipchains support, and lm removed a few things that should not have been there such as ISA (!) and hermes support.)

3. Is there a way to run an existing BL installation (BL3 or
Slackware 7.1) with the experimental kernel?

Just boot (loadlin or lilo) with a 2.4.31 kernel and copy over the
modules to /lib/modules/2.4.31 (and DO NOT mix my kernel and modules with
David's or you will crash spectacularly and need to run e2fsck).

I will download the latest versions and keep them apart from each
other.

I have a /lib/modules/2.4.31-sindi and a /lib/modules/2.4.31-david. Put my modules in the first and UNPACKAGE David's userspec.tgz and copy just the modules to the second. tar -ztvf | less will show you what is in his package so you know where to unpackage it (he included a few things besides the modules, I think.)

All I am interested in is support of USB memory devices. Is this
implemented in all of them?
Yes. Use my las or (if it is smaller) my lm kernel.

I hope I did not misunderstand your problem.

No, you did not. Thank you for interpreting them to the list ;-)

Christof

Sindi (more in answer to your next email)