baslinux - Re: [BL] Udhcpc and Loop Linux and Kernel Compilation (was:[delete])

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Udhcpc and Loop Linux and Kernel Compilation (was:[delete])
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 03:35:18 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006, Lee Forrest wrote:

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 06:06:49PM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:
I would like help figuring out why the kernels I have compiled
for 2.4.31 do not work with BL3.40 in loop form but Steven's
2.2.26 and David's 2.4.31 kernels do. Mine also does not work
with udhcpc, did not check David's. The config's for mine and
his are posted at my site.

Got it. Will do my best to figure out what's going on.

I am really confused now. udhcpc is in busybox and it appears to have made its own default.script in /usr/share/udhcpc. It complained about not having one when I ran the smaller kernel (and at least yesterday there was no such file), then it did not complain when I used the bigger kernel and the file was there, and when I used the smaller kernel again it did not complain. So the fix is to either boot with the full kernel and then from then on use the smaller one, or copy over the default.script to /usr/share/udhcpc (which the bigger kernel created).

I got 'error, script /share/udhcpc/default.script failed; No such file or directory' but the message went away after once using the larger kernel.

I don't understand but I have something that works now. I also added ipchains ability (modular or built-in) to my small laptop kernel and removed ISA and Joliet and hotplug (needs kmod) and a few other things that should not be there. The modular kernel (modular ipchains and cdrom support) is 600K, insmod ipchains.o to use a firewall. 650K if you have enough RAM for built-in support. I have 12MB in one computer.

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31 (I hope it all landed there):
bzimaglm.431 nad bzimagly.431 (M - modular) (Y - built into kernel).
With configs.

I am stymied about why 2.4.31 kernels are not letting me write to the BL3 loop filesystem. I can boot to ext2 linux with 2.4.31 kernel and mount initfs -o loop and write to it.

This morning, at the kitchen table rather than the front porch, when I forgot to turn on the router, udhcpc (working with the larger kernel) suddenly leased me 192.168.0.4 and two DNS numbers, and iwconfig gave me a signal level for SSID 'Netgear' of something negative but less negative than the noise level, and I could ping 192.168.0.1 and use lynx briefly, long enough to determine I had a connection (download) speed of between 10 and 13K/sec, which is a bit better than the free wireless promised to us some time next year and seems really speedy compared to dialup. But very unstable.

On the front porch I got three different signals but no connection. The early radio fanatics must have felt like this. When the signal is too weak, instead of signal level -155 dBm you get 1/48 or 17/48, and raising the computer a few feet increased the number. If I had a working battery or a very long extension cord I could walk around figuring out where the linksys and netgear and apple and 2wire signals come from. There is also some background noise with SSID "" and stronger signal levels than the others but of course no connection.

This is ridiculously easy once you know how. I could have used the large config that came with BL2 pcmcia.tgz, rather than cardctl ident for manfid and setting up my own config, then just typed start and udhcpc and been online.

The ipchains business is for the firewall. I will try at the library with two laptop computers and wired network cards in both, ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 and route add gw 192.168.1.2, and ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2 and ipchains on the other, then a wireless card in the second computer and udhcpc should assign eth1 (second wireless card) an IP number and I can be online with two computers, if this works. One could even be a Windows computer using ipconfig instead of udhcpc.

Do I need a firewall on my gateway if the library has its own firewall?

My smf and ly and lm (with ipchains.o inserted) kernels should all work as gateways with ipchains. I made scripts to run pcmcia start, then the correct line for ipchains or route add gw, and will then run udhcpc on the gateway. I don't want to bother with udhcpd on the gateway, ifconfig is simpler.

Lee

Si keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org