baslinux - Re: [BL] Udhcpc and Loop Linux and Kernel Compilation (was:[delete])

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Udhcpc and Loop Linux and Kernel Compilation (was:[delete])
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 23:56:09 +0000 (UTC)

I used to be a ham. You could make an antenna to help with
reception/transmission.. I'd guess the frequency range is very
high, so a small dish made from steel or copper mesh would
work great. Otherwise, a yagi would work.

We have a pringles can.

I only use coke cans. I am a man of principe! :-)

What size dish?

Depends on frequency. Size of antenna and frequency have an
inverse relationship, although there are ways to 'cheat'.
Be tiny, because the frequency (I assume) is high.

Frequency is the inverse of wavelength. Dish is proportional to wavelength. For FM radio, a 5' antenna seems to work as 1/4 wavelength, and we are using a 7x10' stainless steel cupola roof with the wire attached in just the right spot to get all the weak stations.

The dish could be a lot larger than the antenna. Probably
would be in this case. The antenna would be suspended at
its focal point.

You could also insert an amplifying transciever to radically
extend your range, and connect to wlans (?) all over the place.

Bet they are cheap, now.

Why mesh?

Custom. Could be aluminum foil, or anything conductive.

We have aluminum pie pans.

I have several stainless steel strainers of various mesh sizes.
Do you use these to reflect a signal like you can do with
low-quality radio signals? Sometimes I pick up a station better
by standing on the opposite side of the radio from the source.

The dish focusses and reflects the signal to the actual antenna.
Or vice-versa if you are transmitting.

I hope it can be unconnected to the built-in antenna.
I will experiment with iwconfig to see how signal strength changes.

There is nothing to hook an antenna to.

I was wondering about that. You'd have to dig in there. We'd
need to know the impedance, too, which we should be able to
determine by examining the internal antenna for type and
size.

You can look up the info for my cards if interested. Aironet 340 and linksys wpc11 ver 3. I am not taking the cards apart, they work.

I will research using
the router as antenna (it has two pointable ones)

There you go.
But I don't know how to do this yet.

if it is part of the network, or must it all go through
192.168.0.1? One router has a pcmcia wireless card in it and I
could plug a cable into the back.

Need a length of coax from computer to antenna.

Nothing to connect the coax to in the card.

[delete]

Lee