baslinux - Re: [BL] Udhcpc and Loop Linux and Kernel Compilation (was:[delete])

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Udhcpc and Loop Linux and Kernel Compilation (was:[delete])
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 18:14:57 -0500

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 10:29:51PM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:

> > Package: udhcpd

> > (actually dhcpd includes much of the functionality of BOOTPD!).
> > It assigns IP addresses to clients based on lease times. This
> > package is primarily geared towards embedded systems. It does
> > however, strive to be fully functional, and RFC compliant. . This
> > is the server-side application.
>
> Do I need this? The router seems to have it, so does the public library.
> I don't even need udhcpc once I know the IP address I am connecting to, I
> can use ifconfig instead.

I don't think you should count on this working. First, you may not be able to
easily find out what the
subnet range is. Secondly, if the gateway doesn't have your host's address
registered (as it would if
you issued a dhcp request and were assigned one by a server on the subnet)
you may not be able to do
anything on the network (other than maybe ping other hosts by guessing at
their addresses). I don't
have a very thorough understanding of this, but experiences I've had with
this indicate these networks
are likely to work this way.

James