baslinux - Re: [BL] Udhcpc and Loop Linux and Kernel Compilation (was:[delete])

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Udhcpc and Loop Linux and Kernel Compilation (was:[delete])
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 17:55:27 -0800

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 10:22:01PM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:

> >DOS is a kernel and baselibs, utilities and shell (plus
> >applications), and linux makes it look like the poorly-designed
> >toy it is.
> >
> >Why even bother?
> >
> >Lee
>
> 1. DOS is small and fast. I can boot and be online with Kermit at a
> local bbs in about a minute.

I can do that with _debian_. And smaller linuxes are much faster.

> 2. I can print my email from my shell account with DOS - never figured
> out how with linux.

You just haven't tried.

> 3. I can run Wordperfect (text mode) on my TTL monitor in DOS - dosemu
> and qemu make a mess of it.

Why do you need a WYSIWYG 'editor'?

I use vi (a 'simple' editor) to write html and convert it to
PDF/PS with a single keystroke. This is has proved to be more
than adequate for any printing task. And there's tex and latex
too...

> 4. The TTL monitor displays both underlines and bolds properly.

So does mine.

> 5. Two small DOS database programs do what I want. Linux programs are
> big and confusing. I found one for DOS and linux but it is buggy.

Don't know db programs. The ones I know about _are_ big and
confusing, but I'll bet there are smaller and simpler ones.

> 6. 40K CAD program, small and simple, does what we want.

You have a program that searches for morally reprehensible people
on the web?

> 7. Don't need to mount a floppy disk or partition to use it,

Yes you do. It's just done automatically. Like a properly
configured linux does.

> or reboot to turn it off.

Neither do I. You have a weird setup for linux.

> I still spend half my time or more in DOS. I use linux for anything
> memory intensive such as image processing, or to do two things at once, or
> for scanning (HP scanners did work in Win3.1) or streaming audio or
> wireless.

Okay. You are used to DOS and new to Linux. That's okay.

Lee