baslinux - Re: [BL] Eznet -- Getting There

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Eznet -- Getting There
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 19:01:43 -0800

On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 02:44:20PM +1300, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:
> Lee Forrest wrote:
> >
> > 38:00.812 Send: "ATZW2\r"
> > 38:01.410 Recv: "ATZW2"
> > 38:01.910 Skip: "ATZW2\r\r\n"
> > 38:02.410 Recv: "OK\r\n"
> > 38:02.410 Send: "at&d3\r"
> > 38:02.510 Skip: "at&d3\r\r\n"
>
> What's the &d3 doing in there?

eznet put that there

> It resets modem after DTR toggle.

I'll look that up. But I don't know how
to remove the string.

> > 0 debug yes
>
> Why add this line ?

To see what's going on.

> > 0 dialtimeout 10
>
> Why add this line ?

A mistake. I misread the manpage.
It doesn't make any difference, one way or the other,
with respect to my current problem. I tried it both
ways: With and without.

> > 0 init0 ATZW2
>
> Why did you change init1 to init0 ?

That's an added string on the commandline:

eznet change simple init0=...

Because that's the init string I use with that modem.

> I specified init1
> for a reason. Actually, the whole line is superfluous
> -- it is not needed for your modem. eznet does an
> automatic ATZ. All W2 does is report DCE. Please
> remove entire line to keep debugging simple.

Okay. It's probably what screwed up the other init string.

> > 0 service simple
>
> Why add this line ?

eznet did that. It's the name of the account.

> > 0 user leeforrest AT simple.net
>
> Is that your actual login name?

Yes.

> Must you include @simple.net when you log in?

> > Anyone have any ideas?
>
> For starters, I would expect an experienced hacker like
> you to know that when you ask someone to help you debug
> a problem, you must give them the *exact* config that
> caused the problem.

I did.

> Where is the baud line?

It's on the commandline reported by 'eznet log' in my
other post. The default:

/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/modem 115200 connect '/usr/bin/eznet chat 0' defaultroute
ock modem mtu 552 mru 552 debug crtscts -detach idle 300 user
leeforrest@simple
.net remotename simple

> Where is the tty line?

I have /dev/ttyS4 symlinked to /dev/modem, which is what eznet uses
by default.

> The extra lines (unneeded) which you added make debugging
> more difficult. Please remove and try again.

Will do. Will follow the instructions above, explicit and implied.

0 tty /dev/ttyS4
0 debug yes
0 password xxxxxxx
0 phone xxxxxxx