baslinux - Re: [BL] Udhcpc and Loop Linux and Kernel Compilation (was:[delete])

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Udhcpc and Loop Linux and Kernel Compilation (was:[delete])
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 16:50:11 +0000 (UTC)

I don't understand but I have something that works now. I also added
ipchains ability (modular or built-in) to my small laptop kernel and
removed ISA and Joliet and hotplug (needs kmod) and a few other things
that should not be there. The modular kernel (modular ipchains and cdrom
support) is 600K, insmod ipchains.o to use a firewall. 650K if you have
enough RAM for built-in support. I have 12MB in one computer.

A whole 12M of RAM? Such riches!

I prefer not to waste 50K of it on cdrom and ipchains support when not needed. The computer which only has loop linux (and crashes in Win98 with the cardbus card) has 48MB, so I would like to get 2.4.31 working R/W on it in loop linux.

2.4.X is also needed to put linux on a USB memory stick and write files to it with linux rather than DOS. 2.2.X seems about as actively developed as mdacon.

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31 (I hope it all landed there):
bzimaglm.431 nad bzimagly.431 (M - modular) (Y - built into kernel).
With configs.

I am stymied about why 2.4.31 kernels are not letting me write to the BL3
loop filesystem. I can boot to ext2 linux with 2.4.31 kernel and mount
initfs -o loop and write to it.

Maybe you need to reset the kernel params to RW instead of RO? With
rdev or at boot.

But I can write to any mounted partition except the loop one.

On the front porch I got three different signals but no connection. The
early radio fanatics must have felt like this. When the signal is too
weak, instead of signal level -155 dBm you get 1/48 or 17/48, and raising
the computer a few feet increased the number. If I had a working battery
or a very long extension cord I could walk around figuring out where the
linksys and netgear and apple and 2wire signals come from. There is also
some background noise with SSID "" and stronger signal levels than the
others but of course no connection.

I used to be a ham. You could make an antenna to help with
reception/transmission.. I'd guess the frequency range is very
high, so a small dish made from steel or copper mesh would work
great. Otherwise, a yagi would work.

We have a pringles can. What size dish? Why mesh? I have several stainless steel strainers of various mesh sizes. Do you use these to reflect a signal like you can do with low-quality radio signals? Sometimes I pick up a station better by standing on the opposite side of the radio from the source.

Both are directional.

Get me the frequency range/center frequency and I'll do the math
and send you the plans.

All these signals are 2.4GHz, same as newer (newest?) cordless phones.
iwlist with the airo card (orinoco card does not support it) shows the 8 strongest signals. First has address FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF - maybe this is a cordless phone? Next is the one I briefly picked up in the kitchen, followed by two lines of 00:00:etc. which sometimes change so that one or both match the second line, and four more lines. I have picked up the existence of SSID "" "Netgear" "Apple" "Linksys" and "2Wire".

I think udhcpc can choose the address with -r switch. Will experiment.
The county-wide signal will hopefully be more stable and work without added antenna.

There is nothing to hook an antenna to. I will research using the router as antenna (it has two pointable ones) if it is part of the network, or must it all go through 192.168.0.1? One router has a pcmcia wireless card in it and I could plug a cable into the back.

Do I need a firewall on my gateway if the library has its own
firewall?

With Linux? Probably not. But a simple one with ipchains that
didn't allow any connections that you didn't initiate wouldn't
hurt.
Okay.

My smf and ly and lm (with ipchains.o inserted) kernels should
all work as gateways with ipchains. I made scripts to run
pcmcia start, then the correct line for ipchains or route add
gw, and will then run udhcpc on the gateway. I don't want to
bother with udhcpd on the gateway, ifconfig is simpler.

Be sure to get all the ipchains manpages. I'll send them to
you if you want.

They come with the tcpip2 package.

ipchains (8) - IP firewall administration
ipchains-restore (8) - restore IP firewall chains from stdin
ipchains-save (8) - save IP firewall chains to stdout

Lee