baslinux - Re: [BL] Xvesa

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xvesa
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 22:35:17 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006, Lee Forrest wrote:

On Sun, Dec 17, 2006 at 06:20:39PM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:
The little 1-floppy USB linux with kernel 2.4.31 worked for me with USB
keyboard and mouse. zgv -M for testing the mouse. (But it won't boot on
all computers, needs something changed in the boot setup to be more
similar to a previous version without the nice automatic mouse setup which
I never got around to doing or really understood, so maybe David has time
to make the required change). I don't recall if the package included
kernel config, but you can see what modules were used with his 2.4 kernel.
It is posted at my site

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31

and at David's site, which is linked to BL3.40 site.

wget http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31/bzImage.431.gz

I booted up BL3 with it, no modules, and X works fine! Mouse
and keyboard.

Not only _that_, but my serial card/port was also configured!

(Thanks not only to your kernel, but to Steven's new
setserial.)

Now, all I have to do is get the chat script for eznet composed
and I'm on the internet with BL3, which for _me_ will mean that
it's a functional OS.

I forget why the regular pppsetup and pppd did not work for you.

Thanks a bunch,

Thank David Moberg. He also compiled a bunch of modules for this kernel, and I think posted the kernel config, so if you get hold of a Slackware 10.2 (10.2?) CD with source code, you can refine the kernel. Or use his kernel config to make a better 2.4.19.

It could be your serial card requires a 2.4 kernel.

The 1-floppy linux was put together at my request, for use with a USB camera (or memory card reader), to both transfer files and view with zgv, then the improved version was to test USB mice and keyboards with.

To use the viewer, fiddle with libvga.config - try chipset VGA or chipset VESA if it does not work with no chipset line. There is an editor (e3pi) and less.

I think he just used the kernel he had already compiled and posted earlier (with a full set of modules). He did several kernels so I can't recall quite what was what. Since he compiled using later glibc (2.3.2?) than I did, our kernels/modules are not interchangeable.

Good thing your Gateway Essentials did not skimp on the floppy drive!

Sindi

Lee