baslinux - Re: [BL] Xvesa

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xvesa
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 20:47:30 -0800

On Sun, Dec 17, 2006 at 03:35:06PM +1300, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:
> Lee Forrest wrote:
> >
> > X seems to be a trap for tiny linux users. First it's
> > 6M for a 'real' xserver, then one
>
> It's about half that. A typical Xserver for BL3 is 3mb.
> Xvesa, of course, is much smaller and you are welcome to
> keep using it. However, Xvesa is not perfect and you may
> run into a fishhook or two.

After reading the above, and Sindi's post here, and my bad
experiences with zgv/svgalib, X is looking better.

/usr/XllR6/bin contains only about 1.5M, total. And when
I get an older box with a regular serial port, I can use
the stock 2.2.26 BL3 kernel.

I _do_ like the Xvesa and have pulled a few fishhooks from
my a?s before.

So Steven, how is it that I can use my USB rat* with the stock
BL3 setup but am having so much trouble using it with the newer
kernel and all of those USB support modules? It's a USB keyboard,
too. And none of the BL3 USB modules are loaded and there's no USB
support built into the kernel.

This is puzzling to me.

Lee

* I've had a lot of experience with mice and rats, and the
so-called "mouse" used for GUIs is _way_ too big to be
a mouse. It's a _rat_.

:-) Seriously, though.