baslinux - Re: [BL] Xvesa

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xvesa
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 21:50:21 -0800

On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 09:14:51PM -0800, David Moberg wrote:
> Lee Forrest wrote:
> >
> > So Steven, how is it that I can use my USB rat* with the stock
> > BL3 setup but am having so much trouble using it with the newer
> > kernel and all of those USB support modules? It's a USB keyboard,
> > too. And none of the BL3 USB modules are loaded and there's no USB
> > support built into the kernel.
>
> I didn't realize that the same mouse actually worked in ordinary BL3
> (without USB modules). Does the keyboard work without any modules
> under _both_ kernels?

No. It needs the keybdev module with 2.4.19, but not with 2.2.26,
either the stock BL config or the "big" config.

> This is a wild guess, but does your Debian kernel by any chance have a
> psaux.o module?

No. And I checked my /lib/modules/2.2.20 tree, too, just to be sure
insmod or the kernel wasn't borrowing one from there, because I noticed
that it looked for modules in the BL 2.2.26 tree when it couldn't find
the one it was looking for in 2.4.19.

find . -name '*psaux*'

I also checked the 2.4.19 config file for builtin support, and
it wasn't there. No mention of 'psaux' (case-insensitive) in the
kernel sources Configure.help doc, either.

Same for my XF86Config on debian.

> If so, try copying that over to BL. Then remove all of
> the USB insmod lines (but keep unix.o), reboot, and load BL3 again in
> case the USB modules are still hanging around somewhere. Reset your
> /dev/mouse link so that it points to /dev/psaux, where it probably was
> originally. Then startx. Does the rodent work now?
>
> > This is puzzling to me.
>
> I'll wait to come up with an explanation until I find out whether your
> Debian kernel has a psaux module.

Okay.

Lee