baslinux - Re: [BL] Xvesa

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: "BasicLinux List" <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xvesa
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 21:14:51 -0800

Lee Forrest wrote:

So Steven, how is it that I can use my USB rat* with the stock
BL3 setup but am having so much trouble using it with the newer
kernel and all of those USB support modules? It's a USB keyboard,
too. And none of the BL3 USB modules are loaded and there's no USB
support built into the kernel.

I didn't realize that the same mouse actually worked in ordinary BL3
(without USB modules). Does the keyboard work without any modules
under _both_ kernels?

This is a wild guess, but does your Debian kernel by any chance have a
psaux.o module? If so, try copying that over to BL. Then remove all of
the USB insmod lines (but keep unix.o), reboot, and load BL3 again in
case the USB modules are still hanging around somewhere. Reset your
/dev/mouse link so that it points to /dev/psaux, where it probably was
originally. Then startx. Does the rodent work now?

This is puzzling to me.

I'll wait to come up with an explanation until I find out whether your
Debian kernel has a psaux module.

David