baslinux - Re: [BL] Xvesa

  • From: "Sheldon Isaac" <sheldon.isaac AT verizon.net>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xvesa
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 17:03:24 -0500

On 17 Dec 2006 at 12:51, Lee Forrest wrote:

> > This one was assembled in fall of 1998, and has had a few changes since.
> >
> > Currently an ASUS P5A mainboard ("super socket 7"), 100MHz FSB, 450MHz
> > AMD K6-
> > 2, 256Mb, Matrox Productiva AGP video, about 8 Mb?
>
> I know what a mainboard is, and an AMD CPU, and AGP and the 8Mb must be
> its RAM , but what's "FSB" and what does the "256Mb" refer to?

Oh, sorry, Lee: The video card is I think a Matrox G100 Productiva; maybe I
got it because the name sounded "practical" rather than fancy-graphical?

The Front Side Bus is apparently the thing on the motherboard that determines
how fast things happen. Maybe that board can run at a few different speeds -
66Mhz or 85 or whatever. (There's something called overclocking, which I
never had the interest or courage to do - it makes more heat, maybe shortens
component life.)
I thought the nominal speed rating of the system RAM is related to that; ie,
use at least 100MHz rated RAM if the bus is 100MHz?

Somehow the speed of other things is related to that bus speed: eg, maybe
33MHz PCI or ISA bus?

256 megabytes of system memory: the original 64 from Mushkin that I got with
my 300Mhz, an added 64 that came with the second-hand 450MHz processor, and a
purchased 128Mb.

Thanks,
Sheldon