baslinux - Re: [BL] Xvesa

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xvesa
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 18:37:34 -0800

On Sun, Dec 17, 2006 at 02:58:47PM -0800, David Moberg wrote:
> Lee Forrest wrote:
>
> >wget http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31/bzImage.431.gz
> >
> >Now, all I have to do is get the chat script for eznet composed
> >and I'm on the internet with BL3, which for _me_ will mean that
> >it's a functional OS.
>
> Download and extract the
> http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31/userspec.tgz.431 file, too.

Okay. Immediately.

> It contains modules (which may be useful to you later) and
> also an updated pppd, which you will need to connect to the
> Internet with BL3 and a 2.4 kernel.

I was wondering about ppp. Hoping support was compiled in. Had
no idea about the updated pppd requirement.

Can I just copy the /usr/sbin/chat over from my debian, do
you think? I know how to use it and eznet is proving to
be anything but ez for me.

> When you try to connect for the first time, it should
> tell you how to make a /dev/ppp (necessary for Linux 2.4
> PPP networking). After that, it should work without any
> intervention.

>From my debian:

0 crw------- 1 root dip 108, 0 Apr 14 2002 ppp

Didn't know it was there....Is there something special about
this device file? Wouldn't it be made like so:

mknod ppp c 108 0

?

> I don't know why this kernel works automatically with your
> keyboard/rodent combo and the Debian kernel doesn't.

Me neither. But I sure am learning a lot by trying to meet
all these challenges. Wouldn't have happenned if it all
went smoothly...

> BTW, the pppd from that userspec package is statically
> compiled. It will work with BL3, but if you prefer, I can build
> a libc5 version.

Thanks. I'll use it as is for the moment, and will then probably
take you up on the kind offer.

Lee