baslinux - Re: [BL] 486 Laptops/Gmail on BL (was: USB modem and wireless<blah>)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] 486 Laptops/Gmail on BL (was: USB modem and wireless<blah>)
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 17:06:14 +0000 (UTC)

With a small battery it would let you run a small computer while on a
bike trip if you wanted the extra weight (which I don't). Maybe you could
hook up a laptop computer to an electric bike battery that can be
recharged by pedaling? Can you run linux on a newer PDA?

there is a linux for pocket PCs... but usually windows CE works fine
and is better for those devices... considering a lot of new ones have
wifi and bluetooth (driver reasons)...

Our old Palm OS PDAs work with linux for file transfer and updates. I was wondering if the newer ones would actually let you run linux and maybe go online with it.

bike batteries/headlight generators are usually 6volts and around 5
watts at the absolute most... not possible to run a laptop off of
this... thats not to say you couldnt get a 13.8 volt generator (13.8
needed to charge the 12v battery) but unless you feel like you can
race in the tour de france i doubt it would be practical...

I was talking about electric powered bikes, not lights. I know some of them (the more expensive ones) let you recharge the battery while going downhill or I think even while pedalling. They have a motor and a heavy battery and whatever is used for charging the battery.

wireless?

wireless RS232 (for the really old 'tops) is inpractical since those
devices are geared tword industrial use (the specs are nice... the
price tag is not) and reqire external power...

as far as WiFi goes i never bothered with it since i dont have a
laptop with a good battery and i honestly dont really trust it (look
up a program called "AirSnort" to see what i mean)

I ran across that as a way to find WEP keys.

i have used someone elses wifi/laptop before (the laptop was brand
new) but even then the 'wireless' was lost because i had to hunt down
a power outlet to recharge the thing roughly every 1 to 2hrs ... (wifi
-eats- batteries)... 1 to 2 hrs seems like a lot of time but when
surfing the web/playing games time goes pretty fast..

It sends and receives radio signals. Uses less batteries than a tape player. I can check my email in less than 2 hours. But am unlikely to even drag around a laptop computer on a bike trip. Just curious.