baslinux - Re: [BL] BL 3.40 and qemu summary

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL 3.40 and qemu summary
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 20:21:28 -0700

James Miller wrote:
On Wed, 3 May 2006, sindi keesan wrote:

> Do I put it onto the hard drive directly or onto floppy disk first?

This is a qemu hard disk image, and unpacks to the same size as the one
you got from the qemu site (10 MB). It has ocurred to me that you could
specify your computer's main hard drive as -hdb to qemu an so (maybe)
access files to/from it that way. But you'd have to have tools that aloow
reading/writing to the ext2 filesystem. I think the loadlin author came
out with those. Anyone else agree that something like this might work?

I think that I have done this before, so it may be feasible. A big
problem is that your main hard drive is likely already mounted (!) so
the two operating systems may fight for control of it, and that could
end in disaster. However, qemu does have the -snapshot option, which
should go a long way to solving this problem.

David