baslinux - Re: [BL] BL 3.40 and qemu summary

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL 3.40 and qemu summary
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 15:57:40 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 1 May 2006, James Miller wrote:

On Tue, 2 May 2006, sindi keesan wrote:

I typed
qemu freedos.img

The FreeDOS image file I downloaded unpacked to freedos.dsk . I issued
qemu /path/to/freedos.dsk and it booted and ran fine (apart from the weird
azerty keyboard layout). There were definitely files and folders on c:\
so you're doing something not quite right--just not sure what.

The keyboard layout is fixed by running in X.

I got my FreeDOS image from the qemu site and they said it was modified from a Bochs image. Do you want to try it?

How do I access files on the hard drive or floppy drive from qemu?
C: appears to be empty. A: is not accessible (or the floppy disk may
have been defective, I suppose).

You can make a virtual a:\drive available by booting with -fda
/path/to/floppy.img where floppy.img is a bootfloppy image you've created.

The BOCHS/qemu .img.bz2 unpacks to 10MB so can't be used that way. Which DOS image do you have and where from?

You can mount that image and copy things into it, then unmount it and
virtually insert the floppy by pressing ctrl-alt-2 and issuing the right
command (Steven gave some directions about this). If you could set up
networking for FreeDOS, it would be much simpler yet to access the host's
filesystem (if you, e.g., run an ftp server on your host's filesystem).
I know nothing at all about setting up networking under DOS though, so
you're on your own there. But, maybe simplest of all . . .

In DOSemu I could access the dosemu area from another linux VT and copy files to it that way. Simple.

James said he tested Wordperfect for DOS in Freedos under qemu. How?
Sindi

I mounted the FreeDOS image as a looped file, then copied WP files to it,
then unmounted and booted from it. I gave some directions about how to
mount a qemu image (needs a special bootsector parameter--check the
archive for the last week or so to find that parameter). I had some
trouble getting WP to run: I kept getting a "packed file is corrupt" error
message when I would try to start it from the c:\ prompt. I then copied
DC to FreeDOS (DOS commander file mgr) and, for some reason, was able to
run the executable from it.

I can't even access the files in the freedos image.

A floppy-disk sized DOS image won't give me enough space to run programs in along with the files I am working on.

I don't have DC.

Can you try using the freedos image at the qemu site with WP and see if they both work for you (in X, to fix the keyboard problem, and besides WP needs Alt-F keys).

James