baslinux - Re: [BL] BL 3.40 and qemu summary

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL 3.40 and qemu summary
  • Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 01:57:17 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 4 May 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Is anyone still using a 486 with BL?

Yes, me. I still have two 486 laptops that I use
regularly. Last week I used one of them to do a
MagicPoint presentation to the City Council.

Perhaps BL should split into a desktop branch suitable
for 200MHz cpu and 64MB RAM, and a laptop/floppy disk
branch, with different kernels and libraries.

That's not going to happen. BasicLinux will remain
focussed on the low end. There are plenty of other
options for the mid-range (eg DSL).

There are still plenty of 386/486 laptops being sold at
the local auction site. Which Linux is for them?

BL4 for desktops with qemu package, etc?

Nope. Besides, I'm currently running qemu on BL3.
Why do we need a different BL to do that?

Maybe set up a BL3-upgrade URL, with packages of the libraries needed to use BL3 with Opera or qemu or Firefox on computers with more RAM and faster CPUs. I will have qemu figured out soon, and I really doubt you need all those packages that James listed - just part of qemu itself, libasound, and libDSL and symlinks to them (plus icewm's libraries and a few libraries from glibc).