baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3.40 with X_SVGA can't find cursor font

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3.40 with X_SVGA can't find cursor font
  • Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 14:14:40 -0800

sindi keesan wrote:

> I installed Slackware 4.0 xsvga.tgz and am using my generic XF86Config for
> 800 resolution (which worked with Matrox and Tseng cards).
>
> Fatal server error: could not open default cursor font 'cursor'.
>
> BL2 has 5K /usr/X11R6/lib/misc/cursor.pcf.gz. Not library dependent.
> I copied it to BL3.40, did not help. Then I added to fonts.dir
>
> cursor.pcf.gz cursor
> and changed the 5 on the first line to 6 (there are now 6 fonts).
>
> Perhaps cursor.pcf.gz should be added to BL3.4.1 so it will work with
> X-SVGA on laptop computers that don't work with Xvesa.

Why? Is there some reason that you cannot install the no-xvesa.tgz
package? I don't see any point in having two copies of the same
font (Xvesa has cursor built-in).

> Got past the cursor problem and now:
> rxvt: can't load color "Black".
> Look at rgb.txt: it has both black and Black. Now what?

What does your XF86Config specify as the location for rgb.txt?
Both of the XF86Configs at your website specify
"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb" for the path.

> Now I get a lot of vertical colored lines, the ones at the rightmost keep
> changing, and there is 1" of vertical black stripe at far right.
> Ctrl-Alt-Backspace
>
> icewm - load pixmap failed (several lines of this).
>
> swm gives a similar effect, but a grid instead of most of the
> vertical stripes and no message about pixmap.

Does your XF86Config properly match your hardware?
(check chipset ID and video ram size)

David