baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3.40 with X_SVGA can't find cursor font

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3.40 with X_SVGA can't find cursor font
  • Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 18:23:51 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Perhaps cursor.pcf.gz should be added to BL3.4.1 so it will work with
X-SVGA on laptop computers that don't work with Xvesa.

cursor.pcf.gz is in no-xvesa.tgz (add-on package).
Yes, and I also found another font there, both listed in fonts.dir.
What problem does that one solve?

Got past the cursor problem and now:
rxvt: can't load color "Black".
Look at rgb.txt: it has both black and Black. Now what?

rgb.txt is also in no-xvesa.tgz

Yes, and it was not in my BL3.40 installation before.
I must have added it manually to 3.32, where I found it.

Steven, could you try X_SVGA with BL3.40 please?

I already have. It works fine (with no-xvesa.tgz).

With Steven's XF86Config, and BL3.40 xinit (no need for xf86config or startx), X is now working perfectly at 640 resolution. I think the monitor does 800 (in DOS Pictview) and I will get that working next. hwinfo won't tell me the monitor info and whatvga won't display in any graphical mode so it will be trial and error for the monitor settings.
Steven's very conservative ones work, mine for 800 produce something with wavy edges on the right side on this LCD screen.

Why not just link startx to xinit instead of adding another startx?
I have not noticed them acting differently in my situations.

I am currently running the XSVGA Xserver on a Toshiba laptop
(in order to get 8-bit color). It works fine (as long as I
install no-xvesa.tgz first).

We also have a 100MHz Toshiba where I think the RAM works properly (all 24MB of it). Time to make a swap file or two.