baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3.40 with X_SVGA can't find cursor font

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3.40 with X_SVGA can't find cursor font
  • Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 18:32:14 +0000 (UTC)

With Steven's XF86Config, and BL3.40 xinit (no need for xf86config or
startx), X is now working perfectly at 640 resolution. I think the
monitor does 800 (in DOS Pictview) and I will get that working next.
hwinfo won't tell me the monitor info and whatvga won't display in any
graphical mode so it will be trial and error for the monitor settings.
Steven's very conservative ones work, mine for 800 produce something with
wavy edges on the right side on this LCD screen.

Actually it is running at 800, not 640, and I don't think LCD monitors go to very high sync and refresh rates so no need to fiddle. Is it supposed to look better with higher rates even at the same resolution?

The XF86Config in no-xvesa.tgz seems ideal for Pentium I laptops (our 266MHz goes to 800, the 100MHz to 640). The 2MB RAM video chip goes to 1280 but we would need to plug in another monitor to see it. (And add more modelines and change resolution settings in XF86Config).

Thanks Steven and David,