baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3.40 swapfile unknown option dd if=/dev/zero

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3.40 swapfile unknown option dd if=/dev/zero
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 02:17:40 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

dd if=/dev/zero of=swapfile bs=1024 count=32k
The dd of BL3.40 is busybox and it did not work.
unknown option dd if=/dev/zero

I just tried it (in BL 3.40) and it works fine.
I suspect you made a typographical error.

I just tried it again, from / on the Toshiba laptop, typed as above, and I made sure it is 'if=/dev/zero ...' (not \dev\zero...) and it is still an unknown option.

Then I did a 'which dd' and it is in /bin (symlink to busybox). I did a
cd to /bin and then './dd if=/dev/zero ....' and it worked.
'set' shows that bin is on the path and there is only that one dd.

Why would dd not work from / in BL3.40? Is this some sort of quirk of busybox 1.01? Please try dd in / yourself. Other busybox programs that I tried work from / (telnet, route, wc, uname...).

I was able to make the BL2 swapfile while in /. I will move it there unless it ought to be somewhere else, and point rc at it there.

is there some other way to make a swapfile with BL3 itself other
than adding a larger dd?

I just made a swapfile in BL3 using the existing dd.

What directory were you in at the time? dd also does not work from /etc .