baslinux - [BL] BL3.40 Card Services release does not match

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL3.40 Card Services release does not match
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 21:56:53 +0000 (UTC)

Same problem on two computers with PCMCIA and BL3.40, desktop with IDE-PCMCIA controller and laptop.

Intel ISA?PCI/CardBus PCIC probe:
Vadem VG=468 rev 00 ISA_to-PCMCIA at port ... [this is for the IDE PCMCIA controller only, the laptop port says something different]
Using /lib/modules/2.2.26/pcmcia/ds.o

[Things seem to be okay up to this point, then cardmgr has problems:]

... cardmgr[39]: starting, version is 3.1.16
watching 1 sockets [or 2 for the laptop]
Card Services release does not match
initializing socket 0
cs: memory probe .....: clean
..... (loads all the modules except for my network card: can't handle sections of type 1769472)
get dev info on socket 0 failed: Try again
exiting

The card works in BL3.32 with the 2.2.16 module. I got the 2.2.26 module from the BL3.40 site.

3.32 cardmgr is also version 3.1.16 and is the same size and date and libc5 dependency.

I am using the _cs modules that came with 3.40, except for this network module (smc91c92_cs.o) which I downloaded.

On the laptop I did a rmmod of all the modules that had been loaded and 'start' again and it crashed with some kernel problem,

Is pcmcia working in 3.40 for other people?

A google search brought me the phrase: "Card Services Release does not match kernel (generally harmless)". Do we need a different cardmgr for 2.2.26?

Someone else reports that pcmcia stopped working when he upgraded his kernel from 2.2.12 to 2.2.14 using pcmcia-cs 3.1.8, but ours is 3.1.16. His ethernet card worked but the modem was placed on the wrong port. Search on Xircom CEM33 for details. There was also something about Redhat 8.0 on a Toshiba Satellite with instructions for using the latest Card Services.

Someone else says you need PCMCIA 3.1.17 for kernel 2.2.16.

Current stable release of PCMCIA-CS is 3.2.8.
There appear to be PCMCIA-CS kernels available.

Linux PCMCIA HOWTOW discusses kernel version mismatches.
Are the modules in the zip file correct for 2.2.26?

Is CONFIG_INET enabled? 'Kernel networking support cannot be compiled as a module'.

The modules in /start do load, but not the network module. It seems to be getting stuck on the cardmgr -o line. But it also TRIES to insmod the network module and does insmod 8390 first.

I may try an ethernet file transfer with 2-floppy BL3.32 and the modified
'config' and module added from floppy disk.

We came very close to copying over ext2 BL3.40 and BL2.1 to a laptop computer with 40GB hard drive, which BL3.40 mke2fs could not handle (it kept crashing to the point where I had to power off) but PQMagic for DOS worked fine on (after fixing some partition table problem, which did not help mke2fs). fdisk had no problems that I noticed with it.
But I don't want to copy via plip or llpro.